This was the one of three desserts from our New Year’s dinner 2007. For the full menu, see this post.
Makes about 36 smallish fritters
Part 1: The Buñuelos
3 pounds of a mix of yuca, malanga, squash, sweet potato and plantains
1 tablespoon of grated orange of lemon rind
Flour as needed (may be about 2-3 cups)
Oil for deep frying
- Peel the vegetables and cook them in boiling water until just soft (if cooking yucca, remember to remove the woody parts).
- Drain water and put the cooked vegetables through a food processor or blender until pureed.
- Beat the two eggs with a fork and mix into the puree.
- Mix the “dough” by hand and slowly add flour until the mix no longer sticks to the hands.
- Roll the dough into a thin tube.
- Take about 10 inches of the tube and make a figure eight (8).
- Heat the oil and fry until golden.
- Put into a shallow pan or tray.
Part 2: The Syrup (Almibar)
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of water
One or more of the following: 1 stick of cinnamon, teaspoon of vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon anise seeds, grated lemon rind
- Put ingredients into a small pan over medium heat.
- Cook while constantly mixing until syrup thickens slightly.
- Pour over buñuelos.
(Adapted from Estela de Jesus)